Economy

Koo Yun-chul: "Regions Are the Battleground for a Decisive Tech Edge" — Government Pledges All-Out Support for Honam Semiconductor Push

Ahead of Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix investments in Gwangju and South Jeolla, government vows full-scale support system amid political dispute

·3 min read
Koo Yun-cheol emphasizes regional areas as key battleground for Honam semiconductor invest
Summary
  • Deputy Prime Minister Koo Yun-chul said the government will fully support Samsung Electronics' and SK Hynix's decisions to invest in Honam semiconductor facilities.
  • President Lee Jae-myung rebutted opposition criticism over the investment location, stating the Honam cluster project was officially confirmed back in 2023 under the Yoon Suk-yeol administration.
  • Samsung Electronics plans to move up its cluster development by seven years, while SK Hynix aims to advance production by 12 years.

Key Remarks

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Economy and Finance Koo Yun-chul stated on his social media on June 28 that he respects the decisions by Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix to invest in semiconductor facilities in Gwangju and South Jeolla Province, in Korea's southwestern region, and that the government will fully support these projects. He stressed that the current era is defined by global hegemonic competition over advanced industries, requiring the mobilization of all national capabilities, including manpower, resources, and land.

Regions as the Battleground for a Decisive Edge

Koo explained that breaking away from the oversaturated capital-region-centric system and unleashing the potential of the regions is the key task ahead. He defined the battleground for achieving a decisive technological edge as ultimately lying in the regions. He also assessed that without adequate conditions in place, such as location, electricity, and water supply, the companies' large-scale regional investment decisions would not have been possible, and that absent such conditions, the companies would have had no choice but to turn abroad instead.

Political Dispute and the President's Rebuttal

A dispute between the ruling and opposition parties continued over the formation of the Honam semiconductor cluster. Opposition lawmakers raised questions about the investment location, asking why Honam was chosen. President Lee Jae-myung posted six messages on his social media on June 27 directly rebutting these claims. He stated that the formation of the Honam semiconductor cluster was a project officially confirmed back in 2023 under the previous administration of President Yoon Suk-yeol, explaining that the companies made their decision based on their own business interests after the government had already established the necessary conditions for water, electricity, land, infrastructure, and workforce training. Regarding water supply specifically, he said Honam has ample water resources comparable to those of the Yeongnam region or the capital area, and that a review found the region capable of supplying up to 1 million tons of industrial water per day.

Investment Plans and Government Support System

Samsung Electronics has decided to move up the timeline for its Yongin semiconductor cluster by seven years, while SK Hynix has confirmed plans to advance the start of production by 12 years. Minister of Trade, Industry and Energy Kim Jung-kwan stated on his social media that the southwestern region investment represents both a strategic decision by the companies and a core element of balanced national development. Deputy Prime Minister Koo pledged to mobilize a government-wide, all-out support system to ensure that the regional investment, which was difficult to secure, can swiftly produce results. He also outlined a broader direction of building a foundation for future industries in regions capable of producing and consuming energy locally. Gwangju and South Jeolla were cited as having favorable investment conditions, including a talent base from Chonnam National University, the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, and the Korea Institute of Energy Technology, along with abundant electricity and water resources. The government announced it will hold a national briefing on Korea's three mega projects on the 29th, with Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yong and SK Group Chairman Chey Tae-won expected to attend.

Share

More in Economy

Latest News

Game Pass Unveils Second Wave for August 2026

Microsoft는 2026년 8월 19일부터 게임 패스 August 2026 Wave 2를 공개하며, 총 10종의 게임이 추가된다. 주요 작품으로는 'Vapor World: Over the Mind'와 'Blood Dungeon'이 있으며, 이들은 각각 8월 19일과 25일에 게임 패스 Ultimate 및 PC 게임 패스에서 출시된다. 8월 31일까지 'Another Crab’s Treasure', 'The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt - Remastered Edition' 등이 게임 패스에서 제거되며, NBA 2K26는 9월 6일에 서비스 종료된다.

Game Pass Unveils Second Wave for August 2026

Phantom Blade Zero Unveiled Amid Controversy Over Digital Transition

On August 17, Sony revealed the game through a live stream of the State of Play for Phantom Blade Zero, but the content was obscured by intense backlash over the digital transition Eighty-two percent of all game software is sold as digital downloads on PlayStation Store 5, and only seven games in the United States have achieved physical sales in the hundreds of thousands Phantom Blade Zero will release on October 29 exclusively through PlayStation Store; it is an action game set in a wuxia universe featuring Donnie Yen.

Phantom Blade Zero Unveiled Amid Controversy Over Digital Transition

Six Consortia Join Government’s Free AI Service Initiative “AI for All”

The government stated that six consortia, including SK Telecom, KT, and Kakao, are participating in the ‘Everyone’s AI’ project Participating firms must use domestic AI models accounting for at least 50% of their systems, and they will receive 512 NVIDIA B200 GPUs The final vendor will be selected by the end of this month, with plans to sign contracts in September, launch a beta service, and release the official service within the year.

'모두의 AI' SKT·KT·카카오 등 6곳 출사표⋯이달 말 사업자 선정(종합)